Welcome to the Kempsford Bell Ringers website.
The bells of St Mary’s have rung out over the Parish of Kempsford for more than three hundred years. The oldest bell in the ring dates from 1678. Hanging high up in the fourteenth century tower of the church, they still regularly peal out over the village and surrounding countryside on Sundays and other occasions such as weddings, as well as on practice night. The six bells were retuned and hung with new fittings in a frame for eight bells in 1984.
In the bell chamber
The fine mellow tone of the bells are a valued part of Kempsford life, both now and in the past. William Hayward wrote the poem Kempsford Bells whilst serving the Crown during the Boer War. For him the memory of the bells was a welcome link with his home village.